Things I wish I knew (or did) when I was a teenager:
1. You lived so close to school, you should have walked or biked there more.
2. Soft drink is shit.
3. You should have spoken up more, you had great ideas.
4. Guilt is a slow and silent killer – do your best and move on.
5. Try harder in math class. You open up so many more opportunities if you can at LEAST do long division (luckily, 2+2 is still 4…. right?)
6. Stop listening to garbage music. You did good there at the end of it though, glad you got over boy bands.
7. Run. Just run until you get tired, and then pick it up again.
8. Don’t be bothered by trivial matters at home. People have their bad days, but they don’t have bad lives. Be supportive but don’t break yourself in the process.
Things I’m glad I did when I was a teenager:
1. Stayed away from drugs/alcohol. So I wasn’t “cool” in school. My life turned out okay, so did I.
2. Spent a lot of time outdoors. Nature is the greatest de-stressor.
3. Took care of a dog for 10+ years. You can learn so much by caring for something other than yourself.
4. Started writing. Even if no one elses eyes will ever see those pages, do it. Finding out who you are is a lot easier if you read what flows from your own pen.
5. Had (and still have) best friends. They are invaluable.
6. Spent a lot of time with my parents. Life is short. Appreciate people who are good to you.
7. Stuck with jobs even though they were the “WORST THING EVARRR.” You learn something from everything you do, whether it’s not take any crap or to give credit where credit is due.
8. Learned the value of saying “I’m sorry.” It’s just as much for you as it is for them.