Every January 1 millions of people make ‘resolutions’ for the upcoming months of the new year. Last year I had the idea that instead of making ‘resolutions’ we should make ‘congratulations.’ You see, a resolution is a means of ‘resolving’ something – pointing out that you have this problem you have to work on. Way to jump to the negative, people! So I proposed the thought of narrowing in on the positive; a ‘congratulations to self.’
Reflecting on your 2016, what are some positive things that you did or were apart of that brought out the good in your life? We all know 2016 has been pretty rough globally, but let’s go grass roots. The root of the root; you.
– Became friends with the local Librarian who supplies me with endless knowledge in the form of free books of poetry.
– Travelled out of province for the first time to Nova Scotia.
– Successfully said “no” to at least 75% of things that I would have questioned my answer on before today (growing is awesome).
– Really refined my writing, I think I have a handle on my ‘style’ at this point.
– Keeping on top of finances. I struggle with ‘debt-brain’ all the time. While I know everyone accumulates debt in their lives, I find it mentally so straining. I am learning to budget better and it’s working.
– Indulged in more creative work. I love making things, whether it’s a painting or repairing something or experimenting with make up.
– Made a friend who has really opened up my mind and made me a better and more understanding person. Thank you Amrit for being completely yourself, and involving me in your journey to becoming a Canadian citizen.
– Received an emerging artists grant from Northern Public Affairs magazine and had two poems and two photographs published.
– Photography featured in Inside Labrador magazine.
– Celebrated 6 years of blogging!
– Read my poetry at the Happy Valley Goose Bay town hall to celebrate National Poetry Month.
… list to be continued as I remember more!